Along the same lines as the Weed Killer post I did recently, I wanted to share a way to kill off those nasty teeny little ants that seem to come out of the woodwork (literally!) this time of year withOUT the use of harsh and dangerous chemicals.
If you sprinkle a little bit of cornmeal where you see the ants trailing, they will take it back with them and eat it. Their bodies can't digest it and they die. (Okay, so a little inhumane for the ants, but no worse than a chemical ant poison.) You get an ant killer without the risk of harming children, pets, etc that you get when you use harsh chemicals.
I had a family member's dog recently get into an ant poison stash that was seemingly impossible for her to reach. (I understand something in the ant poison smells attractive to dogs.) Poor doggy got really sick, has been to see the vet twice, but will be okay. Still on the mend nearly a week later. Could easily have killed her.
Don't risk it. Try this simple solution first. I've used it and it worked great!