Thursday, January 15, 2009

Pancakes

Lastnight was "Breakfast for Dinner" (or BFD) night around here. We had pancakes and scrambled eggs. It's the one day of the week I don't really have to put all that much effort into "cooking" and I look forward to it. :)

A few tidbits about pancakes:
  • Use a 1/4 C. measuring cup to spoon batter onto the griddle. You'll have perfect, 4-inch, uniform pancakes every time.
  • Pancake and waffle batter will keep in the fridge for 24 hours, if you don't use it all or if you want to make it up ahead of time, like the night before. It actually is better if you refrigerate your batter for 15-30 minutes before making your pancakes. So make up your batter, pop it into the fridge, then clean up your mess and set the table before making the pancakes.
  • Don't buy those dumb boxed pancakes or waffles in the freezer section - you can make your own for pennies! Make a double batch of pancakes or waffles next time (even putting the rest of the batter in the fridge till after your meal, then finish making them). Put pancakes or waffles, 2 or 3 together, into sandwich bags and toss them in the freezer. To reheat, microwave the pancakes for 15-20 seconds, turn them over, then another 15-20 seconds or until hot. You can also place them on a cookie sheet in a single layer, cover them with foil, and bake them at 350 degrees for ten minutes. Waffles can be toasted in the toaster (but may need more than one toasting, depending on the thickness of your waffle and the temp of your toaster). Now your kids can have pancakes or waffles for breakfast before school without the time and mess of making them from scratch in the morning, and without spending 10x what you need to. :)
  • The best temperature for your griddle is 375 degrees.
  • Measure carefully, and don't overbeat your batter. It's supposed to be lumpy. :) Mix the dry ingredients together in one bowl, and the wet ingredients in another. Then mix the two together gently.
Enjoy those yummy pancakes!!

3 comments:

  1. I love bfd! I use a mixer for mine and they come out really fluffy. I triple the batch & throw the leftovers in the freezer for a quick morning breakfast. After making them from scratch, I can't even go near box mixes -- YUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog on blogher....and now I am hungry for pancakes.

    I too make my own waffles and pancakes and freeze them. I like to add 1/2 can of pure pumpkin puree to my batter with a little cinnamon and nutmeg. That way my little one will get a little extra vegetable in her!

    Question - I was wanting to make heart shape pancakes for valentine's. Never done a shape before....how do you do it? Cookie cutter? I wasn't sure

    ReplyDelete