Monday, April 13, 2009

Divide and Conquer: Household Cleaning Routine

I've never been fond of housecleaning (is there anyone who is??). I've always taken a bit of a different approach to the whole nonsense. :)

I started by making a list of all the household duties that are required in keeping house. I then divided the list into 15-20 minute sets of chores. I assign these lists to days of the week, Monday-Friday.

The idea is that I take 15-20 minutes every day to do a few chores towards house cleaning, and by the end of the week the entire house has been cleaned without me having to take half a day to do it. Divide and conquer! :)

The only exception is laundry, which I [have to] do every single day. I have assigned a day to each person in the house, and their laundry gets done on that day. For instance, I do mine and hubby's laundry on Mondays and Thursdays, the boys have Tuesdays and Fridays, and my daughter gets Wednesdays (along with the towels). Sheets I do on Saturdays.

My schedule for house cleaning is as follows:

Monday: clean kitchen, vacuuming
Tuesday: mending, bills
Wednesday: clean bathrooms
Thursday: brush/bathe the dog, vacuuming
Friday: dust/polish, sweep entry

How to you organize your housekeeping tasks?

sig4blog

2 comments:

  1. the post I have been waiting for!! I probably would have to add one thing to that list for each day but I love having someone tell me what I need to do instead of me scratching my head saying "wonder what I should do?" I do laundry every day too.
    THanks Kim!! Love the site~!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is the easiest way to not feel overwhelmed by the whole house at one time. I'm with you--divide and conquer! I even try to split up the pleasant activities by days of the week: Crocheting, reading, embroidery, crafting, scrap booking--that sort of thing. It's like a little reward for being finished with the day's chores.
    Thanks for this!

    www.graciousrain.com

    ReplyDelete